Could a nonverbal quadriplegic teen qualify for Proof of Humanity?

My nonverbal quadriplegic profoundly deaf teenage son uses an eye tracking computer. If he could be shown to trigger a sentence being read by his computer that claims he is a human, would this be judged as being acceptable for entry ?

2 Likes

It would not be accepted. However, we need people with experience on this topic to help us build a secure framework for inclusiveness. There have been some talks with hearing impaired people.

If you have any feedback or ideas on how to create a rule to make a secure registration, please, do post it. We need the registry to be fully inclusive

4 Likes

Well, my son has control over one set of muscles, namely, his eyes. This is the holy grail for those with severe physical disabilities, to have consistent control over at least one muscle. He uses this muscle to interface with his technology. With only that muscle group we have been able to use a Tobii I13 eye tracker (voice prosthetic) with Smartbox Grid 3 software to allow him to express ideas by selecting from a 4x3 matrix of tiles. When his eyes rest on a tile for a minimum configured length of time without darting away, the tile is considered to be triggered. Triggering a tile can do anything from printing a single letter on the message window to speaking a word or phrase, sending a text message, or activating a game. He has been able to select tiles with at most an 80% accuracy (on his best day, accuracy is less on most days). Like the late Professer Steven Hawking, he could compose a paragraph of text on his eye tracker’s message window and then hit “Speak”, at which time the text is read in real-time. This technology also works with a variety of other input models, including single-switch (ie. head switch), double-switch (ie. sip/puff) in which the computer scans available choices and the user confirms the desired tile by hitting one or more switches.

4 Likes