Extending the registration period with one year

Hi LuisL,
I am aware of that. But what is exactly the problem that it’s issued to a handful of dead people for a bit longer. Of course you want to keep the registry up tot date. But I think the cost of 2 million dollars is way to high to counter this (tiny?) problem. We must be able to think of a better way to spend that money.

If the deceased lack a contingency plan (most new crypto users) then the $ubi dripped to the deceased address is irrelevant since where the private key is essentially lost.

The $vote token and relevant snapshot delegation however persists even when the deceased’s private key is essentially locked/lost.

Its uncertain if fees on eth L1 will drop significantly in the mid - near term. . . Perhaps better to think about POH migrating to an L2 zk-rollup.

1 Like

L2 absolutely, but can such a migration be done in just a few months time?
In the mean time postponing the re-application for a year saves us all 2 million dollar in gas costs even if the L1 fees don’t drop next year.

Registrations actually do extend over 1 year.
The renewal period starts at 6 month, but you can renew your profile after 11 months.

Yes the proposal is to extend that 1 year with another year. So that the total registration is 2 year and you don’t have to renew until it’s 23 months. That would save a huge amount of gas costs.

3 Likes

I’m in favour of this

1 Like

Sounds very logical. I am also in favor of this proposal.

1 Like

Beside the sockpuppeteers (which is a bribing attack and not a Sybil attack per say), we didn’t notice any attack on the registry.
The pro of asking everyone to renew:

• May help find other sockputeers we missed.
  • Remove people who died during that time (assuming 72 years of life expectancy that’s 131 members of the registry which should have passed away).

The cons:

• Lot of gas cost.
  • Some people may not renew so less PoH registered users.
2 Likes

That sums it up nicely.

Taking into account that most profiles do need renewing in a couple of weeks and that the average gas prices aren’t favorable even on weekends, I do agree with @senryu that re-entry for all registered profiles is going to be absurdly expensive.

We are looking at a million to two million USD cost in total to renew
reapply

The certainty of cons mentioned, lesser registered PoH users and lots of gas costs, are a greater threat to the momentum we have in place than the assumptions of missed challenge to some profiles whose identity were either stolen or bought, or removal of those who might have died in the past year.

So while we are still finalizing what to do with puppeteers, profile farmers, oath texts, and improving the user experience and cost overall, it makes sense to extend the validity for another year or a total of 2-year validity for each profile.

1 Like

Yes, it’s way too expensive. Gas prices are even worse now than two months ago.
Can any of the developers say something about wether there is something in the works to avoid this waste of UBI?
Maybe postponing the renewals for a year or use the Polygon network or something else?

If the devs can confirm that cancelling this year’s renewal and extending the validity to 2 years are feasible then we can create an HIP and put it to vote

2 Likes

That would be great! Hope to hear from a dev.

Yes @ludovico do You agree and help us redact?

1 Like

I can assist once everything is drafted to give my comments, but I cannot lead this proposal.

2 Likes

Is there somewhere a default format for a HIP proposal? Maybe I don’t know enough details to make a thorough proposal. But I might give it a try than.

Yes, HIP-5 is the template you should base your proposals on.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll try and start an ideation post after the weekend.

3 Likes

how did this discussion ended?
it have already been voted?

It’s now in phase 3 see

with a binding snapshot vote going on, see
https://snapshot.org/#/poh.eth/proposal/0x4fad8883635c07280b2619521d1c5a408acd55f2548a50ddbbe16a6f627e319e