[Phase3] HIP-36: Registration Validity Extension and Change of Renewal Period

HIP: 36
title: Registration Validity Extension and Change of Renewal Period
author: @senryu @NingFid @fnanni
created: 2022-02-01

Binding Snapshot voting :point_left:

Simple Summary

The validity of a registered profile is 1 year. This proposal aims to extend the duration of each profile to 2 years and change the renewal period duration to 3 months.

Abstract

To prevent high attrition in the registry due to renewal cost and simultaneous $UBI sell-off to fund renewal, we propose a change on the validity of the registered profiles through a change of the parameter submissionDuration to 2 years.

Moreover, the current setup to remove registered profiles is halted for the entire renewal duration of 6 months which is too long of ‘immunity’ period for possibly missed non-conforming and/or suspicious profiles. Another issue that was brought up is for those who wish to be removed but cannot initiate it(no option)until the 6-month renewal period is over. This can be done through a parameter change of of renewalPeriodDuration to 3 months.

Motivation

In order for the Proof of Humanity protocol to maintain the momentum in registration and remain as the largest on-chain identity system, we need to address the pain points in submission primarily the total cost to register and renew.

While the ETH usd value halved since Phase 1, ETH price forecast remains positive in the long term due to Ethereum’s widespread use (https://cryptofees.info/; https://money-movers.info/; ) and net issuance (Watch The Burn: EIP-1559 Real-Time ETH Burn Visualization for Ethereum) relatively lower than the burned ETH from fees as of today. Might sound more speculative than concrete motivation to push this proposal through, but the Proof of Humanity registration being denominated in ETH is significantly affected by price changes.

Moreover, there are few other preceding profile submission requirement alterations being proposed HIP-32, HIP 33, HIP 27 that are yet to be implemented and may be enforced at the same time as many profiles need renewing. We need more time to re-educate users and curators of the new process as we strive to balance fair incentivization and high-quality curated sybil-proof list of humans.

Specification

The proposed parameter changes on submissionDuration and renewalPeriodDuration will affect profiles:

• About to expire after 1 year in the registry
  • Have renewed prior to the change and will have the new validity as specified in the change
  • Current registrants not in renewal period
  • Incoming submissions

Implementation

A transaction with the following specifications is expected to be executed from the Proof of Humanity governor:

• Contract address: 0xC5E9dDebb09Cd64DfaCab4011A0D5cEDaf7c9BDb.
  • Function: changeDurations(uint64 _submissionDuration, uint64 _renewalPeriodDuration, uint64 _challengePeriodDuration).
  • Function parameters:
    _submissionDuration: 63115200 (twice the current value, i.e. 2 years).
    _renewalPeriodDuration: 7889400 (half of the current value, i.e. 3 months).
    _challengePeriodDuration: 302400 (stays the same).
  • Value to be sent: 0 ETH.

Signalling Snapshot voting

(previous phase 2 voting link)

3 Likes

Phase 2 vote of this has passed. Shall it be moved to Phase 3 voting?

4 Likes

Yes, it would be the most logical and valid thing to do, unless the deployment to gnosis chain has conflicts with the renewal time period, i.e all the “older” profiles once we migrate to gnosis won’t be able to stream their UBI to gnosis​:thinking::face_with_monocle:

@NingFid Can you turn this into a Phase 3 proposal and create the snapshot? I do not have the proper rights to do that. Much appreciated thx. :pray:

Can we add the following to the Implementation section?

A transaction with the following specifications is expected to be executed from the Proof of Humanity governor:

• Contract address: 0xC5E9dDebb09Cd64DfaCab4011A0D5cEDaf7c9BDb.
  • Function: changeDurations(uint64 _submissionDuration, uint64 _renewalPeriodDuration, uint64 _challengePeriodDuration).
  • Function parameters:
    _submissionDuration: 63115200 (twice the current value, i.e. 2 years).
    _renewalPeriodDuration: 7889400 (half of the current value, i.e. 3 months).
    _challengePeriodDuration: 302400 (stays the same).
  • Value to be sent: 0 ETH.

If yes please also check that I didn’t make a mistake.

3 Likes

Yes definitely, thanks a ton @fnanni

1 Like

Yes, was about to advance the proposal to Phase 3 yesterday but I’ve got no publishing access. Any chance I could be added today?

1 Like

I’ll add you back @NingFid. To my surprise I was also removed as author.

1 Like

This proposal has been moved to Phase 3

3 Likes

Perfect, thanks a million, all of you.

1 Like