[On-hold] HIP-65 Allow Burmese Phrase

HIP: 65
title: Allow Burmese phrase
author: ludoviko
created: 2022-09-12

Simple Summary

This proposal if approved will allow the applicants to the PoH registry, or those who are renewing it, to say the required phrase in Burmese.

Abstract

PoH applicants, or those who renew their registration, will be allowed to say the phrase that is required to register in Burmese at the time of recording their video. Those who choose to do it in Burmese will not need to record a video in English. All subsequent validation that is required must be in Burmese if it was the selected language.

Motivation

Right now the People of Myanmar are quickly getting onboarded into the platform and it is becoming a major component of the DAO; we believe that giving it the space it deserves is important for the growth of our community. We also consider it essential that applicants know exactly what they are saying when they are registering. And this way, make the pronunciation errors of native Burmese speakers almost none when they make the video.

Specification

Fluent Burmese speakers who choose to make the video in that language may do so by saying the phrase: “ကျွန်ုပ်သည် အမှန်တကယ် လူသားတစ်ဦးဖြစ်ကြောင်းနှင့် ကျွန်ုပ်သည် ဤစာရင်းသွင်းမှုတွင် စာရင်းမသွင်းရသေးကြောင်း အာမခံပါသည်။”. (romanized: “kyawanotesai aamhaantakaal luusarr tait u hpyitkyaunggnhang kyawanotesai i hcarrainnswinmhutwin hcarrainn m swin rasayykyaungg aarmahkan parsai”.) If future validation phrases are required, they should also be pronounced in Burmese.

Rationale

In the same vein of HIP-42, this proposal would encourage the efforts currently being made to onboard the people of Myanmar

Implementation

Add this clause to the registration policy:

This is shameless pandering in light of recent events.

Priority should be given to major world languages before adding minor ones, but even then it’s not necessary for the the PoH certification phrase to be understood by the submitter.

The main purpose of the certification phrase is to serve as an agreed upon sybil resistant marker to verify the humanity of a submission. Plenty of leeway is given for mispronunciation and miswording of the English phrase, so I don’t think that the lack of language representation is a huge barrier of entry.

3 Likes

Welcome back to the forum, Rusty, glad to have you back.
I will not pursue provocations or false accusations, moreover since language integrations were part of my delegation pitch all of the time, but I receive the critics from the person that makes them (your reputation as troll precedes you, so that is ok).
As for the proposal, I am putting it on hold until someone else thinks it is necessary or there is a change in the current realities of the burmese people. Thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

I strongly oppose this proposal. I don’t think that we need to add anymore languages at this moment

1 Like

Don’t worry, it’s not an actual proposal, it’s just Ludovico trying to be provocative after he offended the burmese people.

As the Burmese speaker, I oppose this as it will be just extra work with no significant change on the community and POH.

I re-iterate that this proposal is frozen until further notice.