[Phase 1] HIP-XX Verbal confirmation for submissions

HIP:
title: Verbal confirmation for submissions
author: nicobilinkis.eth, AVSA
created: 2022-21-3

Summary

Change the current mandatory ETH address sign for a verbal confirmation (reading X address characters out loud) to improve the onboarding process.

Abstract

The current rules for profile submission require a mandatory sign (can be a screen) showing the full Ethereum address. This has been a point of failure for many people. Although many efforts where made to help resolve those problems, such as HIP-27 allowing for one character mistakes, the sign itself is just one more step to fight deep-fakes. Considering all those facts, we believe that it's feasible to replace that sign with a verbal confirmation. Instead of showing a sign with the ETH address the submitter would have to say out loud a part of the registering address as a way to confirm ownership of both address and media files. This would require changing the current rules:
  1. Video of the submitter displaying a sign with his Ethereum address - Required
    The sign should display in a readable manner the full Ethereum address of the
    submitter (No ENS; no ellipsis). The sign can be a screen. The submitter must
    show the sign in the right orientation to be read on the video.
  • The submitter must say « The first ten characters of my ETH Address are xxxxxxxxxx and I certify that I am a real human and that I am not
    already registered in this registry ». Submitters should speak in their normal voice
    and should not attempt mimicking someone else’s voice. Speaking before or after
    the required sentence is acceptable. Poor English accents, mispronunciations,
    and the switch or oversight of words in that sentence are not grounds for
    rejections.
3 Likes

I’d simplify a little bit the phrase to the minimum amount of words possible, keeping the same sense.
For the characters, I would suggest using the NATO phonetic alphabet or something similar, because non-english speaking people pronounce the alphabet letters slightly different and ambiguous. NATO Phonetic Alphabet (Alpha, Bravo Charlie, Delta...) - Worldometer

1 Like

La verdad no entiendo nada de esto.

2 Likes

What would be the implicancies of using the first 5 and last 5 instead of the first 10?

Also, what about reading the first 10 but allowing the Address to be printed digitally?
That way we can:

• Avoid the written sign by having systems automatically print the address on the video
  • Validate the address by saying the first ten chars
  • Still display the full address
1 Like

This is kinda what SafeSubmit is all about

1 Like

Can you elaborate a bit more? What do you mean with “SafeSubmit”?

1 Like

It’s the proposal of making a QR generator and reader that validates full addresses. It was presented some while ago.

2 Likes