[Phase-3][Binding] HIP 78 - Clarify mirrored images during registration

HIP: 78
title: Clarify mirrored images during registration 
author: Ludoviko
created: 2023-01-09

Simple Summary

This HIP will update and specify in the Policy the “orientation” issue with the policy text.

Abstract

An increase in challenges using the mirrored images has become the target of bad actors exploiting the written policy. There is a need to update the policy so that this exploit is removed.

Motivation

Mirrored images are not a valid cause for a profile challenge, since both human and computer vision are able to perfectly distinguish human faces when they are mirrored (source: check if you identify yourself every morning in the bathroom mirror).

As @ArkaYana mentioned in a message in Telegram, the reason for ammending the policy are straightforward: “A mirrored image is a reflected version of an original image, while a rotated image is an image that has been rotated around a specific point. These terms refer to different ways of transforming an image, and they are not the same thing. A mirrored image is not necessarily a rotated image, and vice versa.”

Math-savvy people might argue that a mirrored image is a rotation over a three-dimensional plane, but that is beyond of what the policy is specifying and should not be used as an argument against registrants.

Specification

1. A profile picture that is mirrored from the corresponding video is not cause for a challenge.
  2. A mirrored video when the spoken phrase confirmation is chosen is not grounds for a challenge.

Implementation

Following what was specified in HIP-45, the pull-request https://github.com/Proof-Of-Humanity/poh-docs/pull/6 will be merged.

Once merged, it will be uploaded to ipfs with the .MD extension:

When this HIP is merged, the Markdown document that was specified above, will be provided as it is, without rendering, as a plain Markdown file, on the MetaEvidence.
We will obtain a new URL for the policy at ipfs. From now on, this url will be named “newPolicyIPFSURI”.

Once uploaded, the final “_registrationMetaEvidence” file will be also uploaded to IPFS, setting the fileURI to the “newPolicyIPFSURI”.

Actual registrationMetaEvidence

{
  "category": "Curated List",
  "title": "Proof of Humanity Registration Request",
  "description": "A request to register the specified entry to a list of provable humans.",
  "question": "Should the request to register be accepted?",
  "fileURI": <newPolicyIPFSURI>,
  "evidenceDisplayInterfaceURI": "/ipfs/QmSL8d82dMhcThwERWaF4LtmCa4hgV7TyPjAo4fKCzPVkv/index.html",
  "rulingOptions": {
    "type": "single-select",
    "titles": [
      "Yes",
      "No"
    ],
    "descriptions": [
      "Accept the request to register the entry.",
      "Deny the request."
    ]
  }
}

We will obtain a new ipfs uri that we call “finalRegistrationMetaEvidenceURI”.

The final “_clearingMetaEvidence” file will be also uploaded to IPFS, setting the fileURI to the “newPolicyIPFSURL”.

Actual clearingMetaEvidence

{
  "category": "Curated List",
  "title": "Proof of Humanity Clearing Request",
  "description": "A request to remove the specified entry from a list of provable humans.",
  "question": "Should the request to remove be accepted?",
  "fileURI": <newPolicyIPFSURI>,
  "evidenceDisplayInterfaceURI": "/ipfs/QmSL8d82dMhcThwERWaF4LtmCa4hgV7TyPjAo4fKCzPVkv/index.html",
  "rulingOptions": {
    "type": "single-select",
    "titles": [
      "Yes",
      "No"
    ],
    "descriptions": [
      "Accept the request to remove the entry.",
      "Deny the request."
    ]
  }
}

We will obtain a new ipfs uri that we call “finalClearingMetaEvidenceURI”.

Governor Transaction

We will create the transaction in the kleros governor to call the changeMetaEvidence method of ProofOfHumanity contract. The parameters will be the named finalRegistrationMetaEvidenceURI and finalClearingMetaEvidenceURI.

Resumen simple

Este HIP actualizará y especificará en la Política la cuestión de la “orientación” con el texto de la política.

Resumen

El aumento de los desafíos que utilizan las imágenes reflejadas se ha convertido en el objetivo de los malos actores que explotan la política escrita. Existe la necesidad de actualizar la política para que este exploit sea eliminado.

Motivación

Las imágenes reflejadas no son una causa válida para un reto de perfil, ya que tanto la visión humana como la computacional son capaces de distinguir perfectamente los rostros humanos cuando están reflejados (fuente: comprueba si te identificas cada mañana en el espejo del baño).

Como mencionó @ArkaYana en un mensaje en Telegram, las razones para modificar la política son sencillas: “Una imagen reflejada es una versión reflejada de una imagen original, mientras que una imagen rotada es una imagen que ha sido rotada alrededor de un punto específico. Estos términos se refieren a diferentes formas de transformar una imagen, y no son lo mismo. Una imagen reflejada no es necesariamente una imagen rotada, y viceversa”.
Los expertos en matemáticas podrían argumentar que una imagen reflejada es una rotación sobre un plano tridimensional, pero eso va más allá de lo que especifica la política y no debería utilizarse como argumento contra los solicitantes de registro.

Especificación

1. Una imagen de perfil que sea reflejo del vídeo correspondiente no es motivo de impugnación.
  2. Un vídeo reflejado cuando se elige la confirmación de la frase hablada no es motivo de impugnación.

HIP traducida utilizando DeepL

1 Like

I think calling this an “exploit”, and thus labeling challengers “exploiters”, is a bit dishonest and dramatic. They are doing nothing but interpreting the policy as written. This language itself makes me want to vote against the proposal.

If this were truly an exploit, such as one that would allow someone to drain ETH from the contract, then of course we should pass the proposal ASAP. Because you’ve labeled it an exploit, you are able to rely on people’s instinct in hopes of the proposal passing, as people may think this is an urgent matter in the same way. Rather, this is not an exploit, this is a change of policy.

I think the proposal rather should focus on whether allowing mirrored/rotated photos and videos is a good idea or not. It will undoubtedly hurt the Sybil resistance capabilities, at least to a certain extent. Though some might argue too many people are uploading mirrored/rotated photos, so we should just dampen the security of the system to prevent users losing ETH deposits.

Or maybe we should change the language to explicitly forbid mirrors.

I hope to see more discussion before passing to governance.

I won’t merge the PR because the process stated in HIP-45 wasn’t followed, you’re free to copy the https://github.com/Proof-Of-Humanity/poh-docs/ and create your own version (since no repo was authoritative or official anyway)

To be specific, the step in which the draft PR is created before the HIP wasn’t fulfilled, so I don’t wanna risk it.

1 Like

Sorry, could you clarify on what authority you decide what is mergeable or not? You are not an official member of PoH DAO.

2 Likes

This ridiculousness is reaching absurd levels. What kind of interests are you protecting?

Interesante discusión. Siendo nuevo, lo que me parece detectar es que de ambos lados se necesita aumentar la benevolencia. Tanto los que proponen quitar la foto o video reflejado como escusa de posible reto, porque lo consideran un exploit para los que quieren ganar ETH; como los que creen que hay algo mas detrás de intentar cambiar reglas.

Probablemente se un poco de todo. No todos los que retan las fotos o videos espejados lo hacen aprovechando el desconocimiento del que intenta registrarse para ganar ETH (si bien es la principal razón para hacerlo, ganar ETH), como tampoco todo lo que se propone como cambio es porque hay una razón oculta por detrás.

Desde mi punto de vista, (yo cuando me registré me tomé el trabajo de que el celu grave el video sin reflejarlo) es enseñar a los registrantes para que el video y/o la foto no estén reflejados.

Es mas simple que modificar las reglas, y de paso no acomodamos el sistema a la incompetencia, sino que hacemos mas competentes a quienes quieren estar en el sistema.

Interesting discussion. Being new, what I seem to detect is that on both sides there is a need to increase benevolence. Both those who propose to remove the reflected photo or video as an excuse for possible retouching, because they consider it an exploit for those who want to earn ETH; like those who believe that there is something more behind trying to change the rules.

I probably know a little bit of everything. Not all of those who challenge mirrored photos or videos do so by taking advantage of the ignorance of those trying to register to earn ETH (although it is the main reason for doing so, to earn ETH), nor is everything that is proposed as a change because there is a reason. hidden behind.

From my point of view, (when I registered I took the trouble that the cell phone recorded the video without reflecting it) is to teach the registrants so that the video and/or photo are not reflected.

It is simpler than modifying the rules, and by the way we do not accommodate the system to incompetence, but we make those who want to be in the system more competent.

1 Like