title: Institute a “Mission Board”
This proposal is to create a board of members with the responsibility of managing the DAO resources (employees, websites, money) in accordance with democratic decisions. In addition, the current group of people managing the website, snapshot, and forum are designated as an interim board for the duration of 1 year after approval.
For the DAO to function, it requires trusted members to act as advisors to the management as well as a check on it. This board should handle the access to funds and resources to the management, monitor their performance, and ensure that the technical implementation of voting and other procedures are securely implemented.
These tasks are naturally already handled by the informal leaders instituted by the creators of the Dao. However, this proposal would give them a formal mandate by the community and put a time limit before the board positions would become individually elected.
Since the DAO does not yet have a robust mechanism for voting the second part of the proposal is that the current members filling this task from Kleros and Democracy.Earth will be formalized as the interim board for the period of 1 year after approval.
At the moment, the creators of the DAO have control of all resources as a trusted group. However, to have a democratic institution this power needs to be under democratic control. In addition, the employees of the DAO need to be treated consistently by the same group of people to ensure good working conditions.
The current informal managers, from Kleros and Democracy.Earth are formalized as the “Mission Board” for a period of 1 year after adoption.
The initial board: @santisiri, @Herb @clesaege and @federicoast
Thereafter elections should be held for the positions on the board before the end of the 1-year interim period.
The mission board will jointly manage the following:
- Technical implementation of voting
- Access to critical wallets.
- Access right to funds by management
- Payment to employees
- Any resource requiring high trust by the community
In addition, the board will
- Advise management, administer their payment, and monitor their performance.
- Adjudicate if the proper procedure is followed on passing proposals.
- Be authorized to issue mission statements on behalf of the DAO.
Conflict of interests
- A position of the mission board is incompatible with any other paid or elected position in the DAO.
- A board member applying or running for a position in the DAO must first step down from the board before they can be considered.
- A person running for the board can have another paid or elected position in the DAO, while applying or running, but must immediately terminate this position upon entering the board.
The proposal is meant to improve democratic control but not disrupt current operations. The role of the board is what is already being done by a trusted group or will be done in the near future. But this group would have some difficulty explaining their special role with no democratic mandate.
We could decide to elect a board immediately, but since we don’t yet have defined voting robust procedures we would run a serious risk of taking a lot of time with this and disrupting the progress on other fronts. This is why the option of elevating the current informal leaders to elected (accept/reject) status but for only 1 year.
Board members should not be allowed to have or apply for any other position in the DAO. The board is tasked with managing the voting systems and could therefore potentially rig it in their own favor. And the same goes because they manage the resources for management.
Nothing really changes, except that elections must be held for the board positions before the year is out. If possible the board members should be marked as such on Discourse.