Proposals require Quorum to pass?

Looks like a few recent proposals are using snapshot as an online poll, but I feel like such polling and sentiment gathering should take place in the forum here and any serious proposal with code changes/additions to boot should be voted on with snapshot.

Here’s a question i’m curious about community sentiment:

Should a quorum of voting participation be required for any HIP proposal to pass?

• Yes, proposals should satisfy some quorum to pass
  • No, proposals should not require quorum

0 voters

Here’s a voting participation history of the snapshot proposals in the last 30 days using this app a community member developed ( Developed by @DamianCatanzaro )

https://pohgraph.vercel.app/

• “Do you want to create a UBI CHAIN?”

(yes, no, total votes) → (62/54/116)

eligible voters as of the snapshot on April 23: 1643

voting participation rate: 7%

• " HIP-4 Sell UBI to finance the DAO"
    (yes, no, total votes) → (80/0/80)

eligible voters as of the snapshot on April 13: 699

voting participation rate: 11.4%

• " HIP-3 Recruitment of workers for the DAO"
    (yes, no, total votes) → (38/0/38)

eligible voters as of the snapshot on April 9: 164

voting participation rate: 23.2%

• " HIP-2 Recruitment Procedures and worker relations"
    (yes, no, total votes) → (38/0/38)

eligible voters as of the snapshot on April 9: 164

voting participation rate: 23.2%

Also for future reference, the option to “build a poll” is not always visible for me in the post drafting UI, it should appear under “gear icon” → “Build a poll”, but this is the syntax for others:

[poll type=regular results=always chartType=bar]
  • Yes, proposals should satisfy some quorum to pass
  • No, proposals should not require quorum
[/> [poll ]

Perhaps sentiment gathering with polls of this governance forum can be limited to those who login with POH so that its 1 person : 1 vote like the snapshot proposals, but does not clutter the snapshot proposal interface with sentiment polls but rather only serious proposals.

If a quorum should be satisfied for proposals, what voting participation should be required?

• 5%
  • 10%
  • 25%
  • 50%

0 voters

Note that some are just polls, they are not displayed as HIP in core.
I think that quorums are evil. They basically make the inactive majority slow down the active minority. And with POH membership increasing sharply I believe even a 5% quorum to be unattainable (5% of all humans would be around 395,000,000 people). I think this proposal would do a good job at proposal curation.

1 Like

Agree with @clesaege, a no for me. Perhaps in the far future when we have a super nice engagement:) Right now it is just a recipe to get nothing done. (Perhaps we could use it for decisions that should be super hard to change - like issuance rates).

1 Like

en cuanto mas crezca la comunidad mas importante será este tema, que no es menor , hay decisiones muy importantes basadas en enconía tendencias etc y creo que los votos calificados para temas que pueden llevar algún tipo de riesgo PARA deberían tener algún tipo quórum .
Los votos tendrían que ser de humanos con discernimiento del tema ej : no puede votar una nena de 6 años por delegación en su voto .
@clesaege LOS QUORUNES SON MALVADOS estamos de acuerdo , pero en ocasiones son necesarios no todas las decisiones lo requieren .ej : no es lo mismo si ponemos la mesa del lado derecho o del izquierdo ., que , nos mudamos de continente