Let's make it easier to register by using registration phrases instead of signs!

Currently ~75% of challenges are due to mistakes with signs. We can do better: Let's make it easier to register by using registration phrases instead of signs! - HackMD

Would love feedback; leave comments on the doc or here in the thread! If you see problems, please say so. If you like the idea of this, please say so.

5 Likes

This sounds good! For example at crowdfunding group we have decided to forbid handwritten signs to minimize chances of challenge but sometimes people find our group a bit late when they already have a profie up and they get annoyed that they need to cancel and resubmit but it’s the way we found to protect funds.
Also, for example we have helped a homeless person for whom it was also quite an issue to print the address, so I thinks it’s a very interesting idea! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Not really, hispanic speaking people just pronounce the words as it sounds, imo this is the Best idea we have so far

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts!

I agree that it might make it a bit harder for people who don’t know English well. One thing we could do is offer people the option of letting people choose between English or Spanish — The whole registration statement and phrase can easily be displayed in either language. This would probably capture 95%+ of the people trying to register today — and we could expand it to other languages over time as the need arises.

I think demonstrating the correct approach to signs with imagery and video might help some, but I don’t think it would be enough — there are too many ways to screw it up, and even if you don’t screw it up, it’s time-consuming.

3 Likes

It’s an interesting idea, but once the project begins to expand outside of the English & Spanish (and non-European language ) communities this system will run into problems. A number of non-European language speakers are often incapable of pronouncing certain letters, letter combinations, etc, quite simply because those sounds and letters don’t exist in their language. If we were to have a Russian juror judging the pronunciation of a Japanese applicant, there is A LOT of room for misinterpretation.

Of course the same issue exists with the current system too…

1st Suggestion:

Rather than word phrases, why not a randomly generated number string? There is still a slight issue with pronunciation but this is limiting the number of possibilities down to 1 through to 9, rather than an entire language of phrases & words?

Edit: This would make it easier at a later point when we need language specific jurors, all they would need to do is know the number 1 - 9 in the target language. I’d argue many people know how to count to 10 in more than one language, but can’t actually speak the language itself, so a juror could in theory be used for multiple cases.

2nd suggestion:

• Randomly generated QR code + a short number phrase given during initial registration

• User prints / shows QR code & number phrase, reading the number phrase out (number phrase could be replaced with simple hand gesture pictographs for Deaf / Mute communities)

• Juror verifies QR code & number (or hand gesture)

1 Like

Hacerlo en los idiomas más conocidos . Y listo 💁🏼

I’m not sure that pronouncing phrases would lead to less errors than writing.
I think it may actually be the opposite as it’s easier to see a mistake in writing than by listening to the video.
On the other hands words may be more meaningful and less likely be done wrong by English speakers.

I don’t know which effect would be the stronger and this would require making some tests to see if it effectively reduces the error rate or increases it.

2 Likes