HIP: 18
title: Communication roles
author: @clesaege
created: 2021-06-17
conflicts with: HIP-16
languages: EN

English version

Simple Summary

This HIP institutes a mechanism to determine the position of administrator in the social communication tools that are recognized as official by the DAO, either social media (twitter, reddit) or communication channels (telegram groups).

Abstract

In order to further decentralize positions of enforcement within the DAO, there is the need to create mechanisms in which the role for administrator of the communication channels generally regarded as official (GRAO, from now on, defined in the Specification section).

Motivation

Following the spirit of HIP-5, which creates a framework for management of the DAO without altering the smart contract, I propose a better mechanism for establishing enforcing roles within the all recognized channels of communication.

Specification

Definitions

1. Administrative role or admin: the position that a person has over a channel of communication, it being social media accounts, forums, instant messaging groups. In this position, the person has privileges to enforce policies or the convened rules of these channels and include muting, removal or admitting the participation of the members of the group, along with other administrative tasks.
  2. Channel Generally Regarded as Official (GRAO): a volunteer status for any of the channels in the scope of this HIP in which there is an agreement of the channel owner/creator to be acting on behalf of Proof Of Humanity.

Scope

Roles for admin positions for each of the GRAO channels of communication would be temporary roles and elected from the community. These are for example (non exhaustive list):

• Discord forum
  • Twitter
  • Facebook groups
  • Reddit
  • Discord
  • WhatsApp
  • Instagram
  • Telegram groups, users and channels

Elections

1. Elections are made separately by platform.
  2. Before any election is held on a platform, the mission board assumes the administrative powers (each board member counting as an administrator).
  3. For platforms controlled by the mission board, 3 members wishing to be candidate can call for an election.
  4. When they do so, there is a 1 week period to let time for other candidates to apply.
  5. Elections are made using quadratic voting (negative votes are allowed). *
  6. Each Human will receive 99 voting credits.
  7. The top 3 candidates with a positive score would be elected.
  8. If there are less than 3 candidates with a positive score, there may be less than 3 admins for this channel.
  9. Admin roles are to be elected for a period of 1 year.
  10. In case the mission board believes some administrator is harming the Proof Of Humanity interest, it can call an emergency 24h vote to remove an administrator.

* Currently we will use tokenlog for those votes. If a dedicated voting system becomes available, the DAO could switch to use it. Note that in the current state of tokenlog the interface may not natively support delegations (either not count delegations or allows both the elector and delegate votes to be counted resulting in a double count), we may initially need to run a script to give the results (accounting for delegations) but if possible a proper interface would be used.

Administrators obligations

Administrators acknowledge that access to communication channels or profiled labelled as “admin” give them an additional power which comes with additional responsibilities. They are expected to behave as ambassadors of the project. In addition to following the appropriate codes of conduct:

• They should refrain from expressing virulent opinions about Proof Of Humanity or related projects with their admin accounts.
  • They are subject to higher standards in term of good conduct (ex: avoiding excessive profanity).

This doesn’t preclude them from formalizing criticism on Proof Of Humanity. However, it should be done either in a purely technical manner, or using a non-admin account.

Conflict with HIP-16

This proposal is an alternate version of HIP-16 with a few modifications. In case both those proposals were to be accepted, another direct vote (which would not have to go through the classic HIP process) would be required:

Which HIP should take precedence?

• HIP-16
  • HIP-18

Delegations

Administrators can delegate their administrative powers to anyone they see fit. They can remove delegations they made at any time without having to provide any justification.
In case an elected administrators disagree on a delegation made by another administrator, the administrators conduct a vote. In case of removal or tied result, the delegate have their delegation removed.

Rationale

Currently, the admin positions in communication channels GRAO, were subject to the initiative of the person that first created the channel, (telegram, reddit). These roles right now are virtually permanent, without rules that govern their time in that position, or how or why their roles were assigned. This creates space for centralization and the possibility of indefinite perpetuation in the position, among other issues that arise from this permanence in their role (silencing opposition, pushing a specific agenda, creating a hostile environment, etc.). We’ve seen that different admins sometimes have significant divergence of opinion about how channels should be handled and it had led to a few virulent discussions. This proposal establishes a clear and objective way people are added or removed from admin positions.
This proposal is mainly taken from HIP-16 but with some changes in the details to make it more practical (allowing delegations, having higher standards for administrator conduct) and to clarify the voting method.

Spanish version

HIP-18: Roles en Comunicación

Resumen simple

Esta HIP instituye un mecanismo para determinar la posición del administrador en las herramientas de comunicación que sean reconocidas como oficiales por la DAO, tanto redes sociales (twitter, reddit) o canales de comunicación (grupos de Telegram).

Resumen

Con el objetivo de descentralizar aún más los puestos con responsabilidad de aplicación dentro de la DAO, es necesario crear mecanismos en los que el rol de administrador de los canales de comunicación generalmente considerados oficiales (GRAO, de aquí en adelante, definidos en la sección de Especificaciones)

Motivación

Continuando con el espíritu de la HIP-5, que crea un marco general para la gestión de la DAO sin alterar el contrato inteligente, propongo un mecanismo mejorado para establecer roles de aplicación dentro todos los canales de comunicación reconocidos.

Especificación

Definiciones

1. Rol Administrativo o Admin: la posición que desempeña una persona en un canal de comunicación, sea éste una cuenta en una red social, foro, grupo de mensajería en internet. En esta posición, la persona tiene privilegios para aplicar políticas sobre el uso convenido en tales canales, que incluyen: silenciar, remover o admitir la participación de miembros del grupo, además de otras tareas administrativas.
  2. Canals Generalmente Considerado Oficial (GRAO): un estatus voluntario para cualquier canal en los alcances de esta HIP, en el cual el creador o dueño del canal acuerda actuar en representación de Proof of Humanity.

Alcances

Los roles de administrador para cada uno de los canales de comunicación GRAO serán roles temporales y elegidos por la comunidad. Algunos ejemplos son (lista no exhaustiva)

• Foro en Discord
  • Twitter
  • Grupos de Facebook
  • Reddit
  • Discord
  • WhatsApp
  • Instagram
  • Grupos de Telegram, usuarios y canales.

Elecciones

1. Las elecciones se realizarán en forma separada para cada plataforma.
  2. Antes de que se realice la elección en una plataforma, el board asume las funciones administrativas (cada integrante del board cuenta como administrador).
  3. En plataformas controladas por el board, 3 miembros que deseen ser candidatos pueden solicitar una elección.
  4. Cuando lo hagan, hay un plazo de 1 semana para permitir que otros candidatos apliquen.
  5. Las elecciones se realizarán utilizando voto cuadrático (votos negativos permitidos)*
  6. Cada persona recibirá 99 créditos para votar.
  7. Los primeros 3 candidatos con un puntaje positivo resultarán elegidos.
  8. Si hay menos de 3 candidatos con un puntaje positivo, podrá haber menos de 3 administradores del canal.
  9. Los roles administrativos serán elegidos por un período de 1 año.
  10. En caso de que el board crea que un administrador está perjudicando los intereses de Proof of Humanity, se puede convocar un voto de emergencia en 24 horas para removerlo como administrador.

*Actualmente usaremos tokenlog para esos votos. Si se hace disponible un sistema de votación dedicado, la DAO podría usarlo. Nótese que en la etapa actual de tokenlog, la interface puede no soportar voto delegado (tanto no contando los votos delegados o contándolos doble), y necesitaremos correr un script que calcule los resultados (teniendo en cuenta el voto delegado) pero si es posible se usará un sistema de votación apropiado.

Obligaciones del administrador

El administrador debe saber que acceder a los canales de comunicación con un perfil que tiene permisos de “admin” le da poder adicional que conlleva responsabilidades adicionales. Se espera que el mismo se comporte como un embajador del proyecto. Además de cumplir con el siguiente código de conducta:

• Deberían renunciar a expresar opiniones agresivas acerca de Proof of Humanity or proyectos relacionados desde su cuenta de administrador.
  • Están sujetos a exigencias mayores en términos de buena conducta (por ejemplo evitando excesiva ordinariez)

Esto no impide que puedan formalizar críticas a Proof of Humanity. Sin embargo, eso debería ser realizado sobre bases puramente técnicas, o utilizando una cuenta que no sea de administrador.

Conflicto con HIP-16

Esta propuesta es una versión alternativa de la HIP-16 con unas pocas modificaciones. En caso de que ambas propuestas sean aceptadas, se requerirá el siguiente voto directo (que no tendrá que canalizarse a través del proceso clásico de HIP):

¿Qué HIP debería tener precedencia?

• HIP-16
  • HIP-18

Delegación

Los administradores pueden delegar sus roles administrativos en cualquiera que piensen que es adecuado. Pueden remover la delegación en cualquier momento y sin la necesidad de proveer una justificación. En caso de que un administrador electo no esté de acuerdo con una delegación realizada por otro administrador, los administradores votarán. En caso de remoción o empate, la delegación será removida.

Fundamentos

Actualmente, los roles de administrador en los canales de comunicación GRAO estaban sujetos a la iniciativa de las personas que crearon el canal (Telegram, reddit). Esos roles ahora son virtualmente permanentes, sin reglas que regulen la duración, o cómo se asignan los mismos. Esto crea espacio para la centralización y la posibilidad de perpetuación indefinida en el puesto, entro otros problemas que emergen de la permanencia en el rol (silenciar la oposición, impulsar una agenda específica, crear un ambiente hostil, etc.). Hemos visto que distintos administradores a veces tienen divergencias de opinión significativas acerca de cómo deben ser manejados los canales y eso ha llevado a discusiones agresivas. Esta propuesta establece una forma clara y objetiva en que las personas puedan ser agregadas o removidas de posiciones de administración.

Esta propuesta está tomada principalmente de HIP-16 con algunos cambios adicionales para hacerla más práctica (permitir delegación, tener más altos estándares para la conducta del administrador) y para aclarar el método de votación.

5 Likes

Totally agree Clement

1 Like

Implementing quadratic voting with negative votes is a great idea, so people can express their preferences with great detail. I would vote on this one over HIP-16 that suggests creating “lists” and could fracture the community even more.

For anyone reading, see this implementation for reference: Tokenlog · Token-weighted backlogs

2 Likes

I agree with this proposal. I think it’s in the spirit of the progressive decentralization of the DAO.

There are some practical considerations here too. Technically, “the community” doesn’t own the Telegram channel. It’s Telegram that owns the channel. I’m the owner of the channels within the Telegram ecosystem (for the English channel, I created it a long time ago on behalf of the Cooperative Kleros). As owner of the channel in Telegram, I’m still personally accountable from what is done there.

I think a logical step forward would be to have a foundation or some other type of entity to which I could transfer the ownership of the channels, for it to enforce what is decided by the DAO.

At least until this step is completed, I don’t think the mission board can delegate the oversight of the channels.

3 Likes

Just to add something to my last comment, as long as I’m the owner of the group, of course I pledge to enforce the decisions made by the DAO as long as they are not illegal.

The signalling poll is up.

This does not follow HIP-5 procedures and should be eliminated or another HIP should be voted for this.

HIP-5 doesn’t prevent other HIPs from making procedural rules. That is what this HIP is doing and I think it’s doing it in a fair way.

It is piggybacking a measure into another, when both of them should be discussed separately.
It would be a huge flaw to change a rule that influences the outcome in favor of the same HIP.

I don’t think it favors any HIP in particular as if both are voted, there will be a vote to break up the tie.

Most probably HIP-16 will be voted in the binding phase sooner, we were talking about voter fatigue in HIP 16, what will this lead to?
On the other hand HIP-5 governs the HIP methods, there is no regulation on conflicting HIPs and that should be discussed in an amendment to HIP 5, not in a paragraph of a voting of something considered “minor” (comparing to HIP implementation).
The resolution of conflicting proposals should be another hip and it should be voted and discussed separately.

I think that HIP 18, 19 and 16. are things that should be legislated in the same HIP

administrator roles, their code of conduct and codes of conduct for their members. removal and election of community members taking into account natural law, human rights, Vienna Convention treaties.

I rescue from the latter the non-retroactivity of the fundamental law in all world constitutions.

I have seen some discussions on a social broadcast channel wanting to make the LAW / HIP retroactive, approved after the conflicts

Creo que HIP 18, 19 y 16. son cosas que se deberían legislar en el mismo HIP

roles de administrador, su código de conducta y códigos de conducta para sus miembros. remoción y elección de miembros de la comunidad teniendo en cuenta la ley natural, los derechos humanos, los tratados de la Convención de Viena.

Rescato de este último la irretroactividad de la ley fundamental en todas las constituciones del mundo.

He visto algunas discusiones en un canal de transmisión social queriendo hacer retroactiva la LEY / HIP, aprobada después de los conflictos.

Where did you see that? I think everyone here agree that rules cannot be retroactive. It could be something to vote and “lock”.

I have voted against this proposal for the following reasons:

1. Allowing for delegations kills the entire point of democratically electing people for these roles.

2. The method for the community to select Admins would cause serious voter fatigue and noise in the community.

Finally, I hope that those who are supporting this have taken the time to read through all of the changes we made to HIP-16, integrating the feedback of the community, and can now support it. It is now an extraordinary proposal and a truly communal effort.

1 Like

People receiving delegations and which could be removed at any time by the elected com members ensure that delegates are aligned with the elected com members. For example electing a mayor instead of individual street cleaners doesn’t “kills the entire point of deciding of the city administration via an election”.

I don’t really understand that part, 1 once per year and only when there are a sufficient amount of candidates is made to avoid voter fatigue.

part 2 is confusing. What be the scope and what implementation would it have in practice? Does the administration reach GRAO? If so, then it conflicts with hip 7 [A mission board position is incompatible with any other paid or elected position in the DAO.]

Until there are people elected, the board members assume the administration. This is not another elected position. Those are currently missions of the board according to HIP-7 “Any resource requiring high trust by the community” so the proposal just gives some clarifications.

Since all major points were integrated into HIP-16, I do not see the point of having 2 proposals with almost similar ideas, since it would really generate voting fatigue (3 votings for one proposal is just too much). By chronological precedence and amount of support, I am voting No to this proposal to pass to Phase 3.

I strongly oppose to this HIP, it’s unethical, incoherent, abuse of power and misleading, I’m in the day by day in this project and as I stated on the Telegram group channels, this will also consequently slow the PM + dev process.

It technically says that the mission board controls social platforms which conflicts with hip 7. On the other hand, limiting three members to access the position for a period of one year, I think it would be excessively heavy for the admin role that usually appears and disappears in a more organic way. In addition, today the community is small, the number of positions should grow in proportion to the size of the social network and a year is a very rigid time for a position that arises spontaneously and by vocation.

1 Like